Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A Glorious Day!

There were many things about today that were wonderful. The weather was warm, and there was barely a breeze. The lake was calm, at times almost like glass, reflecting the few high scattered skiffs of clouds that wisked overhead. I made a plan early in the day to have supper with friends, a plan which included my bringing the supper to their place. I shopped for the ingredients that I needed, returned home, whipped up a chocolate cake, put together a lasagna, iced the cake, made the vegetable trays, packed everything up, and was picked up by boat and taken over to the other side of the lake with all the necessary acoutrements.

We ate supper and dessert, and during supper, as often happens, we talked deeply of significant things. One thing I expressed was my desire to be "transparent," that is, to be who I really am so that no matter when people see me, they will always see the same me.

Afterwards, were entertained by various people in the family singing and playing songs on the guitar. We had so much fun; I laughed so hard that my face hurt!

After supper, we went down to the beach and sat by the fire. We continued the theological discussion that had started at the supper table, talking of Abraham and election.

Now, I've just been ferried back across the lake, again glass-smooth, so smooth, in fact, that we could see Venus reflected in the mirror of the water. The mountains became great black bears hulking at the water's edge in the waning western light.

I am thankful tonight for this beautiful place, for friends who love me, for conversation that is stimulating and significant, and the opportunity to share my faith with those who are important to me.

No comments: