Monday, March 8, 2010

Dancing with the Stars

There were many things I could have done tonight. There’s always lots of housecleaning to do—and spring is coming. Alternatively, I could have gone to a Film Society showing of “Cooking with Stella” at the cinema. In addition, a local café was hosting an event for International Women’s Day. Finally, there is always lots of reading piled up on my bedside table.

None of those things drew me. Instead, I bundled up and headed out to the back deck with my binoculars and telescope and gazed at the stars. The temperature was -4 but with the wind, felt like -10. The sky was wonderfully clear as it has been for the past couple of weeks.

I saw many friends there; as well, I met some new ones. Every time I go out to look, I try to find something new, something I haven’t identified before. Last night, by chance, I found Coma Berenices, a beautiful cluster in the eastern sky. The trick of course is being able to find the same thing the next time . . . and yes, I did! Same place. Although some people might be able to see it unaided by binoculars or telescope, I am not one of them. First, I scope it out with the binoculars. Then, I look at it with the telescope.

“The heavens declare the glory of God” the Psalmist announces to us. He got it right! The brilliance, the flashing scintillation, and the diamond-dust of the stars takes my breath away! I never tire of looking.

From Coma Berenices, I moved on to the Beehive Cluster (M44). Right now, it’s easy to spot, “southeast” of Mars, which is high in the sky, next to Pollux of Castor and Pollux fame (that’s right, the Gemini twins). I had seen the Beehive before with the binoculars but it was even more stunning through the telescope. I have a Meade EXT-125, which was a gift from one of my children several years ago. Between Procyon and Sirius, I spotted M46 and M47, two more dazzling star clusters. A trip to the sky isn’t complete without stopping by to greet the Pleiades and the Hyades. Oh, and the nebula (M42) in Orion’s sword.

On a night like tonight, I want never to come inside. When I do, it takes me an hour to warm up!

I dream of retiring to dark-sky country somewhere, where I can have a clear view of the sky 360 days a year! Some place warmer, maybe! I dream of filling my eyes with the wonders of the sky. I dream of dancing with the stars.

No comments: