Sunday, July 13, 2008

Finishing Grade 2

At the end of June, my grandson finished grade two in the French Immersion program at one of the local elementary schools. Just as thousands of school kids all over, he brought home his report card, and we all read it with interest and many comments on his progress and success.

Then, from my treasure trove of Kept Items, I pulled out my grade two report card from exactly 50 years ago. My grandson was interested in everything about it, from the envelope it came in--with advertising from the Montreal City and District Savings Bank--to the different grading system used back them. I explained to him that for each subject we received two marks, one for achievement and one for effort. This meant that if you tried really hard but still didn't get everything right, you could get an A for effort and a B, for instance, in spelling or reading.

It's difficult for children to imagine their parents and grandparents as children, but here was tangible proof that I, too, had once been in grade two. I, too, had been eight years old. Having my report card to show my grandson made me happy that I'd had a mother who kept things for me, who didn't just look at my grade two report card and throw it out. It's a material part of our family history.

Thanks, Mom.

No comments: