Sunday, January 1, 2012

Another New Start!

Judging from my last post, less certainly was . . . less. Something happened . . . I'm not sure what . . . but it seems as if my writing self ceased to exist! Since today is a day of new beginnings, I thought I'd make one.


2012: I can hardly believe that all that panic about Y2K was already more than 12 years ago! We were 12 years younger! Oh well, from this point, it's onward and upward.

I bet you're wondering if I've made my list of resolutions. Not formally, but I have some ideas floating around in my head. I'll try to get them out here in some random fashion:

In 2012, I would like to:

1. Drink more water. I have an off-and-on relationship with water, and in the cold dark days of winter, it seems especially hard for me to quaff down tall glasses of cold water, but I keep on trying.

2. Write more letters. My granddaughter gave me two packets of postage stamps for Christmas, so this is a big boost in the right direction.

Oh dear, I just went back to the Jan. 1, 2011, entry on my blog, and I have to report that I didn't do very well on my resolutions from last year. Here's what I said then:

In 2011, I would like to . . .

Spiritual
Finish two courses for my Master’s degree [just finishing up the second one now]
Read through the Bible at least once [probably got half-way]

Physical
Walk or bike to work [I did do this a lot this year, more biking than walking]
Drink at least four glasses of water a day [Can't vouch for every day, but I was conscious of it, and many days I did]

Intellectual
Take Creative Writing [Yes! I did do this, and took French 101, also.]
Read more poetry [A bit . . . but I read and listened to lots of novels and lots of book on Creation]
Write more on my blog [Got off to a great start, but fell off the wagon halfway through the year.]

Environmental
Keep up with the recycling [I did okay on this, but now it's ready to be taken again!]
Be more conscious and careful of water and electricity use [Yes.]

Household Projects
Patch and paint stairwell [Never got to this, but had a big downstairs project.]
Clean filing cabinets (aim for two empty drawers) [There are two empty drawers.

In General
Live lean (this means spend less money frivolously) [I guess it depends on the definition of "frivolously." I don't think I did very well on this one!]

Okay, so that was last year. This is this year. Another new start!

1. Drink more water.

2. Write more letters.

3. Walk more (treadmill, outside, to and from work and church).

4. Finish the book I've started writing (more on this anon).

5. Go to bed earlier (I'm surprised this one isn't on the list from last year!)

6. Read the Bible through.

These six things don't sound very ambitious, but I heard that it takes 21 or 40 days to make a new habit. Maybe if I keep it simpler, I'll have a better rate of success.

Whatever your resolutions and dreams and hopes are for 2012, I pray that God will give you the strength and determination to accomplish them. Happy 2012!

No comments: