Monday, June 18, 2012

The Rabbit Whisperer

I'm learning lots about rabbits. I have a friend who breeds rabbits. Now he's introduced the idea of keeping rabbits to my grandkids, and today is the day! Inky, a female, who will have her second litter in about ten days, is being moved to her new home.

The kids are very excited. We went on Sunday to pick out the rabbits they wanted. Noah was smitten by a black Silky. She (we think!) is very soft and very calm. Noah held her in his arms and she didn't try to squiggle away, like many of the others. He informed me that rabbits can be trained to sit, stay, come, roll over--like a dog! Who knew?

In addition, he has to think of a one-syllable name because, apparently, although they are smart enough to be trained, one can't overload their brains with a two-syllable name. I suggested "Breeze" but was told that it had to be a four-letter name. I'm not sure how the rabbit could tell the difference between a one-syllable six-letter name like Breeze and an ordinary one-syllable four-letter name, but the name Breeze was definitely rejected.

I think Noah is going to be the rabbit whisperer in the family. He's already proven his training ability with the dog. This is just the next step.

No comments: