Thursday, December 11, 2008

Bittersweet at the End of the Semester

Today was the last day of classes in the semester. Students talked about what they had learned about grammar, about reading, and about sentence structure. I told them that most important was what they had learned about themselves, about how to be in the world, how to interact with others, and how to be a better human. I told them that if they didn't learn these things, then I felt that, somewhere along the line, I hadn't succeeded in my role as teacher.

Today was the last day of classes in the semester. This is the day all teachers wait for and look forward to. I love teaching, but even teachers who love teaching look forward to the last day of classes. No matter how much we love helping the students reach their goals; no matter how much we enjoy being in the classroom and interacting with the students--on the last day of class, we're happy.

Today was the last day of classes in the semester. I know this is the last time I'll see some of these students. That's the sad part. Even promises to "keep in touch" may fade in importance as other things take over in the daily routine.

We've all worked hard since September, and we are all looking forward to a rest. For some, there will be a major change, as they return to their own country, their own culture, and, yes, their own language. As much as I've encouraged them all to keep listening to, speaking, writing, and reading English, I know that kind of activity will drop off dramatically once they land in Bogota, Macau, Tokyo, Kyoto, or wherever else they call "home."

Farewell . . . till we meet again!

No comments: