Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year! Welcome, 2009!


I've been away from my blog for a while; I've been busy studying. But now I'm set for a new start in the new year. The artwork at the left was done for me today by my grandchildren.


Usually, I make a list of resolutions and present them to myself on New Year's Eve. This year, for some reason, I waffled--I couldn't decide if I should carry on with the tradition. Looking at my list from 2008, I could see that perhaps the value of making such a list was small. For sure, it wasn't because I think I don't have any faults. More likely I just felt overwhelmed, not knowing where to start!

To be resolved to do something is to be determined to do it. To have made up your mind with firmness and conviction. Many people in the Bible resolved to live a certain way, and many of the commands given to us in the Bible could be prefaced with "be resolved to."

In 1722-1723, when Jonathan Edwards, the great American theologian, was 19 years old, he wrote a list of 70 resolutions by which he meant to govern his behaviour and his life. After a brief opening statement (see below), the next sentence was this: Remember to read over these resolutions once a week. (Maybe that's where I've gone wrong!)

His were not resolutions like the ones that might be garnered from a survey of recent blogs: get more exercise, lose 10 pounds, don't buy on credit, don't talk on the cellphone while driving. These resolutions may be useful and even common-sense, but they deal mainly with the outer person and not the inner life.

Edwards' resolutions, on the other hand, go to the heart of his life. For example,

Resolved, never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God;

Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.

Resolved, to think much on all occasions of my own dying, and of the common circumstances which attend death.

Resolved, when I feel pain, to think of the pains of martyrdom, and of hell.


You can read all of Edwards' resolutions here:

The Seventy Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards

He prefaced the list with the following brief introductory sentence:

Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humbly entreat Him by His grace to enable me to keep these reolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ's sake.


He first recognizes that without God's help, he will not be able to accomplish any part of the list. He asks for God's help in keeping the resolutions insofar as they are agreeable to the will of God. And finally, it is for Christ's sake that Edwards wishes to keep the resolutions, not for his own sake or glory.

Over the years, many people have compared the resolutions of Jonathan Edwards to those of Benjamin Franklin. Whereas Franklin's resolutions were focused on becoming the model citizen, Edwards' were focused on bringing glory to God through a life dedicated to Christian principles.

So, then, what should my list look like for 2009? As much as I'd like to adopt Edwards' list, I cannot do that. I must take a look at my own life and see my own failings and ask God for help in purging those sins from my life.

1. To redeem the time: use my time wisely.

By this I mean to make more minutes count each day. I am, in my own nature, a time waster and a procrastinator. I know this about myself. I've seen it time and again. I don't make good use of the time I have and therefore, many times, I stay up way too late. Now that I'm taking a course, I have lots of reading, studying, and writing to do. Wasting time affects many things: often I don't make time to read and study the Bible.

2. Be patient.

There are many scripture verses about patience. I think I'd like to think I'm a patient person, but really, I don't think I am. I have little or no patience for little annoyances. I'm often not patient with the little kids. I would like to move forward towards sanctification in this area.

3. 2 Timothy 2:15 says: Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Now that I'm taking a course, I see how much I don't know. Stuff I thought I knew (that means I sort of knew it in my head, but couldn't really explain it out loud in any comprehensive or comprehensible way, with Scripture verses for support) wasn't really solidly a part of me. When I open my mouth to say something, I want to be able to explain what I believe.

Jonathan Edwards stated it this way: "to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same."

4. Read through the Bible in a year.

I tried The Bible in 90 Days last year, but I found that, first, it was really hard to keep up, and second, it didn't leave me time to do any extra study. So I'll go back to another more modest goal.

Maybe part of my trouble in the past has been that I've made too many resolutions. Edwards made seventy. Franklin confined himself to thirteen. For this year, I believe I'll ask God to help me with the four I've stated above.

If you see a lack in my life--a particular sin that needs dealing with--and bring it to my attention, I'll add it to the list.

And "lose 10 pounds"? That's probably not a bad idea, either.

No comments: