Monday, January 3, 2011

Check-up!

I know it's only three days into the new year, but maybe it's a good time for a check-up to see how I'm doing on my resolutions. The one I'm interested in today is "Live Lean." Hmm. One trip to the grocery store and I've missed the mark already.

After a day at the toboggan hill, I invited my family over for soup for supper. I knew just what I wanted to make. O'Charley's Potato Soup. The only problem was that I didn't have even one of the ingredients I needed, not even the potatoes. I made a list and headed off to the store. A quick buzz around the aisles, and $41.17 later, I was ready to make that soup.

$41.17!!!! I know what you're thinking. I'm thinking exactly the same thing. That's a pretty expensive pot of soup. Six of us ate, so if we do the math, as they say, that works out to $6.86 a bowl. Well, that's not quite right because there was some left over, which I sent home with my family. So maybe they'll get tomorrow's lunch out of it, for four people. So that brings the price per bowl down to about $4.12 a bowl.

We had sandwiches on crusty buns with sliced sandwich meat, ham and summer sausage (some of which is also left over). Oh, and I have two 500 gram packages of bacon in my freezer (a three-pack, one of which I used for the soup, for $9.99).

Still, at the check-out, $41.17 didn't seem to be very lean.

No comments: