Monday, January 21, 2008

Dealing with Discouragement

Today, I saw two people who were discouraged about some things in their day. I felt for both of them because sometimes I'm discouraged, too. I feel as if my heart has been taken away, and that idea is pretty close to the original meaning of discourage. This word comes from the French for heart (coeur), and so to be discouraged is to lose heart; to be encouraged is to be enheartened.

As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about those two people because today I am a little discouraged after talking with a friend. I tried to give the best advice I could but I couldn't make my friend see what I was saying. That person didn't want to let go of one way of thinking to move on to another.

We can take heart from the scriptures, and God has a lot to say about the heart. Although my heart may be deceitful, God has given me a new heart and that heart is a heart after Him. It follows after Him and rejoices in His ways, His laws, His commandments.

Lord, help us to take heart and be encouraged in You.

No comments: