Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Future is Now!

Recently, it was announced that Virgin Galactic, a division of the Virgin group of companies, owned by Sir Richard Branson, will offer tourist flights into space. The flights, which will launch from a special base in New Mexico, will last about two and a half hours and will provide about five minutes of weightlessness to the participants. Most than 150 people (mostly the rich and the famous) have already signed up to go. These include soap opera star Victoria Principal and physicist Stephen Hawking.

The reason the rich and the famous have signed up (well, at least it's the reason the rich have signed up) is because these flights cost $200,000 U.S. That's $80,000 an hour. At that rate, those five minutes of weightlessness will cost $6,666.66.

Although this price seems pretty high--more than $1,000 a minute--(who makes this kind of money? Maybe consultants?) I've experienced another kind of weightlessness the price of which far exceeds what Virgin Galactic will charge. When I stood at the Cross, and the burden of my heart rolled away, when my sins were lifted off me and placed on Jesus, when that happened, I felt weightless. I was no longer under the crushing weight and burden of my sin.

The price for this freedome was far greater than can be reckoned in dollars and cents. It was nothing less than the death of the Son of God. He gave His life that I might live.

This forgiveness yields the kind of weightlessness we all need to feel.

No comments: