Tuesday, January 8, 2008

It's Christmas All Over Again!

I know Christmas is over for another year (although driving past a friend's house this morning on the way to work, I noticed their Christmas tree still lighting up their living room window!), but a delivery card in my mailbox let me know that a parcel for me was waiting to be picked up at the post office. I went down after supper and yes, it was Christmas all over again! A box of books. Can there be anything better!

This delivery brought a treasure trove: The Geneva Bible, 1560 edition. Advertised as "the Bible of the Reformation," this Bible is a bit different from what we used to. Who knew that the letter "s" used to look like the letter "f" or that "v" looked like "u"? What this means is that "love" is "loue" and "bless" is "bleff." So it will take us a bit longer to get through this than perhaps we anticipated. The interesting thing about this edition, though, it that it contains notes in the margins by various Reformers. We think these annotations will be precious and revealing. (This book really was a Christmas present that didn't arrive in time!)

The other book was The Reformation: A History by Diarmid McCullough. I'm looking forward to reading this. It's quite hefty, but I want to make more time this year for reading.

The last thing I uncovered in the box was a five-set DVD on the history of the Bible and of the Reformation. These I plan on watching while walking on the treadmill. Talk about redeeming the time! The minutes and miles just flash by!

Although I receive lots of e-mail everyday at both my work e-mail and personal e-mail addresses, I'm still excited to receive a box of books from the post office!

No comments: