Saturday, January 5, 2008

What's on your reading list for this year?

I always have several books on the go. They are stashed at various places around my house: the bedside table, the small table beside the couch in the living room, the bookshelf in the dining room--all these places are ports of call in my reading voyage.

One of the books I'm reading now is Bury the Chains: Prophets and Revels in the Fight to Free an Empire's Slaves. This is the story of the main personalities in the movement in Britain and America in the 1700s and 1800s to abolish the slave trade. This book was loaned to me by a friend after we watched the film, Amazing Grace, the story of William Wilberforce, also a major name in the abolitionist movement. The volume is a hefty 430 pages, and I wish I could just stay up all night to finish it, but I'm only on page 99, and even staying up all night, if that were possible, might not do it. So I'll fit in a chapter or two a day, here and there, and prolong the experience.

What's on your reading wish list for this coming year?

No comments: